Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Good things to learn and reflect

21/12/2012-
 I received a good article regarding a career advice from my boss. The title strongly catches my interest, “If you don’t design your career, someone else will.” I was stunned by the title and would like to learn more about its content. Undoubtedly, it is a great article written by Greg McKeown when he raise up that we fail to think about our careers because of over consuming in our careers. He came to realize the topic when one of his clients said she was too busy living to think about life. Here recommended useful steps to avoid this trap and reflect on the career by the author. I have reviewed and edit for my personal use.
Source: http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20121212083009-8353952-if-you-don-t-design-your-career-someone-else-will

Step 1: Review 2012. Review the year, month by month. Make a list of where you spent your time: include your major projects, responsibilities and accomplishments. No need to overcomplicate this.

Here is how I made my list:
2012 Jan – May:
• Exchange Program at USI
• Cope up with new environment, class, and people.
• Travel by myself to other states.
• Challenge with school (American Pols Grade D –to grade B)
• International Food expo (Responsibility)
• Community service work (Cambodian research project + mentor disadvantaged youths at Youthbuild)

2012 May – June:
• IFL second exams + Final Exams
• Teaching practicum + lesson Plans
• Finish college 2012 July – Sep:
• Graduation Bachelor of Education
• Job application at ANZ

October: Commencement of job at ANZR with 7-days of induction training.


November- December:
Cope up with work in Global markets:


Step 2: Ask, “What is the news?” Look over your list and reflect on what is really going on. Think like a journalist and ask yourself: Why does this matter? What are the trends here? What happens if these trends continue?

The things that happened in the whole 2012 have changed me significantly. They all matters because I started to realize that I am more independent and courageous. The trends are ways positive and I can say, it is a particular moment or one of the momentum times for my life. The traveling experience proves me that I can be independent and capable in deciding what direction I should go as well as build up my confidence. Lots of new things happened to me in the whole year especially getting employed at one of well-known institutions. This made me realize I am stepping toward one point where I can grow. I would be very happy if these trends continue which means I will grow and upgrade myself especially expose to new things.

Step 3: Ask "What would I do in my career if I could do anything?"Just brainstorm with no voice of criticism to hold you back. Just write out all the ideas that come to mind.
Ask me if I could do anything in my career, and I would say I like strategy oriented work

Step 4: Go back and spend a bit more time on Step 3. Too often we begin our career planning with our second best option in mind. We have a sense of what we would most love to do but we immediately push it aside. Why? Typically because “it is not realistic” which is code for, “I can’t make money doing this.” In this economy—in any economy—I understand why making money is critical. However, sometimes we pass by legitimate career paths because we set them aside too quickly.

Step 5: Write down six objectives for 2013. Make a list of the top six items you would like to accomplish in your career in 2013 and place them in priority order.

Step 6: Cross off the bottom five. Once you're back to the whirlwind of work you'll benefit from having a single “true north” career objective for the year.

Step 7: Make an action plan for January. Make a list of some quick wins you'd like to have in place by January 31 2013.

Step 8: Decide what you will say no to. Make a list of the "good" things that will keep you from achieving your one "great" career objective. Think about how to delete, defer or delegate these other tasks. Emerson said, "The crime which bankrupts men and nations is that of turning aside from one's main purpose to serve a job here and there."

No comments:

Post a Comment